Friday, January 16, 2015

Oops! We did it again!

Usually, I bribe Heather out of the house with the promise of food.  Today, she got ME.

This morning she said if I would bring her nephews to see her, she would get us a pizza for lunch and hang out this afternoon.  I don't know what I was thinking! I had planned on cleaning my house and working on some projects that have been neglected I have not quite finished yet.  Instead, I loaded up the boys and headed to Heather's house.  We then headed to the pizza place about 10 minutes away (for they are the only ones who serve breakfast pizza...if you have not had this magical concoction...you should really try it..AMAZING!)

The pizza place happens to be in a small place called Cranfield, MS.  Heather has family from this area, and we have cruised around there before, but decided, "what the heck" let's see what else we can find here today.
Not much seen but horses thus far...

We found our way to Kingston, MS.  I have driven through Kingston before...if you count flying past a sign on Highway 61 between Natchez and St. Francisville.  I did not know that Kingston had once been a bustling little town.  After passing the Community Center, we were following signs for the Kingston Methodist Church.  Little did we know that Kingston Methodist Church was this...
Kingston Methodist Church has been here a minute.  According to documentation inside, it is one of the earliest Methodist churches in the state.  Organized in 1800, it is still in operation today! Upon arriving we were met by tour guides...
                                       

Ok...so they were dogs...but come on...one was in a sweater and better dressed than Heather or myself!.  These sweet fur balls followed us while we wandered the grounds around this lovely church.

On the National Historical Registry, Kingston Methodist Church has recently been rejuvenated to it's former glory. The church was full of information! They had a guest book and photo album of the renovations.  It really was a very beautiful church.
Here is where we learned that the original founders of the Kingston Church were Jersey Settlers.  The Jersey Settlers were buried in the Kingston Plantation Cemetery.  In order to be buried in this cemetery today, you have to have proof that you are a descendant of the original settlers!

I never figured we would actually find the cemetery, I mean, we accidentally found the church! We said goodbye to our four-legged friends tour guides and decided to head on down the road and see what else Kingston had to offer.  We were oogling admiring Hillside Plantation home and it's beautiful view of a fog shrouded valley, when low and behold we found the Kingston Cemetery!
We had barely caught our breath at having stumbled upon the church only to have found out way to the resting place of the Jersey Settlers! We were on a roll.  Yes it was cold and no one was dressed for an adventures outing, but someone one was making sure we stumbled upon amazing things this day!
Some of these stones dated back to the early 1800's.  The original Jersey Settlers were buried right THERE! It was awesome! Every one of the souls buried here can be linked back to the original Kingston founders.  I don't know about you, but I was impressed!

We decided to take the back roads home instead of returning from which we had come.  Sometimes this is a good idea...sometimes you wind up places like this...
I am not sure how much you recall from previous posts, but my partner in crime, cohort, sister-in-law has a small issue with bridges...in their best condition.  She was not amused! Seeing as the map said this would get us home (and yes I did pull up my GPS for this little adventure) we crossed the wooden planked bridge.  Now, I wish I could say this was the scariest part of our day...but we had one more almost wet our pants moment un-nerving mishap.

Hold on to your teeth people...I am going to tell you...picture this...

We are trundling along a rural gravel road.  We pass a somewhat sketchy, elderly man on the side of the road at what appears to be a dumping area and momentarily debate whether he was adding to or taking from the pile.  Not too much further along we pass this car...
Heather told me to back up so she could take the picture...the fact that the car has "smile" spray painted on it amused her.  As I am backing down the gravel road I realize there is yet another car in the grass ahead of us.  After taking her pictures we are headed back up the road with the biggest dog that I never saw...seriously...I caught the blur from the corner of my eye and heard the "WOOF" through Heather's open window, before we all screamed and I hit the gas like we at the race track! There were probably 10 cars spanning the last 50 or so years abandoned on this rural gravel road. We never saw a house or where the dog came from/went to. It really freaked us out.

Needless to say we headed directly home.  Well, if you count the road we were taking was flooded out and we had to find another route that did not require us to revisit the scene from "Nothing But Trouble."

We eventually did make it out, laughing at our crazy day.  From stumbling upon the amazing Kingston Methodist Church to the death defying bridge and points there after...it was all in all a great day!

If you follow us on Instagram or even Twitter then you can keep up with us when we are out and about!

Until next time ~ Rosemary

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy your road trips. There is nothing like riding back roads for discovery.

    ReplyDelete